The Council held a public seminar on Wednesday 22 October 2014 looking at the views of the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim faiths on euthanasia.
The three speakers were:
- Dr John Kleinsman, Director, Nathaniel [Cathoilic] Centre for Bioethics
- Dr Khalid Sandhu, Muslim Physician and
- Yitzchak Mizrahi, Rabbi, Wellington Jewish Community Centre
Dr Sinead Donnelly, a palliative care specialist at Wellington Hospital also participated in the Q&A after the talks.
The main questions posed to the speakers were:
- Are there situations in which ending the suffering of a sick person can be justified?
- Can euthanasia be safely implemented?
- Should people who wish to die be forced to stay alive?
Listen to or download Dr Kleinsman’s talk:
Listen to or download Dr Sandhu’s talk:
Listen to or download Rabbi Mizrahi’s talk: